Monday, July 6, 2009

And The Hits Just Keep On Coming!

I am not the first to notice (duh!) but this state continues to go to hell in a hand basket. I am really starting to wonder at what point to I give my now worthless house back to the mortgage company and take my chances elsewhere.

I know that things are tough all over, but it is going to take YEARS before Michigan recovers to some degree, although I honestly doubt it will ever regain what "glory" it had when I was growing up. We always said Michigan was a pretty good place to live. The weather was not as cold as Minnesota, North Dakota, etc and not as hot in the summer as the deep South. You could make a pretty good living with nothing more then a third grade education (I am not saying that the workers are dumb, just merely stating that there was no requirement for "higher education" to work the line) working in the auto plants, but that is a thing of the past.

I read somewhere that the majority of the people leaving the state are the college educated, well-rounded types who have had enough and left. Just the skill set the state will need when/if the recovery happens and the economy does diversify as it needs to if the state is ever to get back on track. The US auto industry is shrinking (I don't think it will ever die out despite GM and Chrysler's inability to turn a profit) but it will never recover to its 1970s/80s market share so the state will need people with other abilities to propel it into the future.

I left years ago, but came back when my wife needed to take care of her sick Mother. The state has changed, and not for the better. I gotta wonder when it will be my time to walk...

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Well, I agree with your frustration... but I will kick your --- if you leave and don't take me along! Just think what life would be without your life long friends to hang with!!!