Monday, June 29, 2009

Another Worthless Public Official

In case you are lucky enough to not be from Detroit, you probably have not have paid attention to the city's recent spate of elected officials and their jail terms. First, the city had a Mayor (google Kwame Kilpatrick) who had an affair with one of his senior people, fired a police official who might have found out, forced the city council to settle out of court for around $8 Million or so when said officer sued the city, then got busted when the news came out anyway and went to jail for a lying under oath.

Now another one of the city's elected council members, Monica Conyers, admits her guilt for taking bribes, and is going to resign July 6th. Why wait so long? I guess she needed one more PAID holiday on the taxpayer's dime. Anyway, she faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. She makes (made) $81,000 a year plus a city car, but I guess that is not enough for such a fine example of a civil servant. Like I wrote earlier, I am not sure what it is about public office that turns people into pigs, but there has got to be something to it.

As much as this pisses me off as a Michigander (but I am not a Detroiter, the only things I like about Detroit are the Tigers and Red Wings,) I know crooked politicians are everywhere. Unfortunately, however, for a state that gets as much bad press as Michigan does, this is stuff the state just does not need right now.

No comments: