Thursday, March 5, 2009

Baseball Ticket Prices

As I read about Manny Ramirez's $45 Mil for two years worth of work I had to wonder how this will affect the average fan who goes to the game. I guess they could bump up the hot dogs to $8, soda for $7, beer for $10, etc, in addition to raising ticket prices. Hey, I am all for getting what money you can, and if the owners think they can afford to pay top dollar for players, that is great for the players.

Not so good for the fans however, but the owners and players are in for a rude awakening when we remember that baseball (and all sports) is a business and we are their customer. What do you do as a customer when you feel you are paying too much for goods or services? Yep, you don't buy it.

They should all heed what Derrick Hall, CEO for the Arizona Diamondbacks said in a recent Fortune Magazine article titled How the Arizona Diamondbacks are coping with the recession. He said "The big difference between now and 30 years ago is the fan has a choice between spending $15 for a ticket plus drinks, food (emphasis mine) or staying at home and having the best seat in the house ... with the high definition tv... that's scary."

Yes, it is. And with my DVR I can pause, rewind and fast forward through the commercial breaks!

3 comments:

NojobTara said...

I couldn't agree more! If you pay them more, the less likely I can go to see a game. Thanks HDTV!

Anonymous said...

What do we do? I say, heck, play ball, just don't look for me in the stands.

Bob said...

I agree. I can not wait to watch the Tigers play, but I would be hard pressed to go and watch many of the games.