Thursday, January 7, 2010

Impressions of Kandahar


After a couple of months here in Kandahar, Afghanistan I have some thoughts.

1) No clouds. Unless it is raining, there are no clouds in the sky. Just bright, blue sky. It is kind of nice.

2) When it rains, the dirt here turns to a funny type of mud. It almost looks like grease, and it is just as slippery. And it takes a LONG time to dry out.

3) No trees. I mean, none. Anywhere. We are surrounded by mountains, and there is no foliage to be seen anywhere.

4) Rugged mountains. You can see them since the airport (where we are at) sits in a valley. It is kind of cool, but you really need trees.

5) Cold mornings, cold evenings, warm days. I guess that is typical of the high desert (we are at 3300 feet in elevation.) Layering is a must. I am going to guess that the summer will be brutally hot when it finally hits.

Not quite what I expected, but not as bad as I thought it might be. If the country was not at war, I might consider... Nah, no way I would live here regardless! No Tigers and no Red Wings!

I attached a pic of the area outside the back part of my lot.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Well dad I'm glad that you would never live there. Mom, Becky, and I would all have to wear those scarfs over our heads and long clothes so I don't think that I would be able to do that.